Updated: January 6th, 2019
What information we collect and how we collect it
To provide our deposit-replacement service, we collect personal information of tenants, landlords and letting agents via our website and web portal (through which you sign up for flatfair’s services), by email and telephone, and sometimes by other methods (e.g. in-person meetings or post). The information we collect may include:
- name, email address, residential address, telephone number, nationality, date of birth, income level (requested, or calculated from level of rent), marital status, payment ID provide by our payment service provider Stripe
- behaviour as a tenant, including rent payment history, damage to a property and what you do about it, and your dealings with landlords and us
- other details you provide to your landlord or letting agent (‘Other Information’), which we request only when needed to seek payment for damage to a property or failure to pay rent
- name, email address, property address(es), business or residential address, telephone number
- behaviour as a landlord, including dealings with tenants and us
- name, email address, business address, telephone number
To provide our Referencing Service, we collect personal information of tenants via our website and web portal, via our approved 3rd party providers such as movem by email and telephone, and sometimes by other methods (e.g. in-person meetings or post). The information we collect may include:
- Collecting tenant’s personal information for the purposes of conducting a tenant reference. This includes both data provided by the end-user, and results provided by Credit Reference Agencies. We will store this data for no less than 7 years. This enables us to keep accurate records of business transactions, and allows the records to be used in any potential legal claims or complaints.
What we do with your information
Deposit-replacement service. We use your personal information mainly to provide the deposit-replacement service, including the following activities:
- offering deposit-replacement services to tenants, landlords and letting agents
- sharing information between tenants and landlords / letting agents once a new flatfair contract has been agreed, including to allow direction communication
- handling any dispute between tenants and landlords about damage to a property, unpaid rent or other matters, including sharing relevant information with our independent adjudicators
- providing updates on the deposit-replacement service
- continually improving our service offering and user experience.
Tenant and landlord profiles. We build profiles of our landlords and tenants to understand their behaviour. These profiles may be used:
- to provide references or reviews of landlords to tenants or of tenants to landlords
- to offer improved deals to our best customers, and to restrict service to those with poor behaviour (but we do not deny the deposit-replacement service to a tenant or landlord without human involvement)
- to provide data to credit rating companies, including to help you build a stronger credit history by paying rent on time and looking after your landlord’s property properly.
Third party services and content. We may send you:
- offers of selected services related to your household that are offered by third parties
- other content that may be of interest to you.
You can opt out of such communications by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link in our emails. You can also manage your contact options via our website if you are a registered customer.
Data aggregation. We aggregate your information with that of other users so that it can no longer can be associated with you. We may share such anonymized information with third parties to assess user trends and better understand how users interact with Flatfair and other online brands.